Learning How to Make Your Galaxy S4 a Universal Remote Control is an easier task than most people think possible. Do you know that you can use your Galaxy S4 function as a universal remote that can control many components and can offer personalized recommendations too? All this functionality is thanks to the in-built IR blaster for making this possible.
IR blasters were originally added by Nokia; however, the IR is now in its second phase as it has re-arrived along with the Samsung Galaxy S4. Unlike last time, this time the use case of IR is comparatively more real and solid and poses a great threat to the conventional TV remote.
Do not make the mistake of considering the Galaxy S4 just a substitute of a remote as now it is powered by Peel and WatchOn and is an intelligent help that offers a complete new way to surfing channels as it customizes the TV watching experiences based on your interests. Not just this fact but the Galaxy S4 by Samsung provides the power to control ant TV for that sake.
If you are a proud owner of the Galaxy S4 by Samsung here are the ways to use it like a universal remote:
Get Started by Launching the App
The first step is to launch the WatchOn app. This app comes pre-installed on the Galaxy S4. Once you will open the app for the first time it will ask to provide some information about yourself. This could be something like shows you like to watch or sports you enjoy but this information assists in personalizing the experience. The app would also take your personal details as name, age and gender. This information helps WatchOn to decide about your likes and preferences.
One also has an option to skip this step in case he/she does not want to disclose any information or wants to move through the process quickly. Once done with the process the WatchOn interface appears. Here the app would have already begun and it would create a collection of shows suited for the user’s tastes and preferences.
Setting the Samsung Galaxy S4 as Universal Remote
Before you understand about the application interface it is important to know how you can set your Galaxy S4 Smartphone as a universal remote.
Here are some basic steps to follow:
- Go to the main interface of the app, click the remote icon given on the upper right corner.
- Click on “Set up now”.
- Turn the TV off.
- Select the TV brand on the app and pass through the various codes until the TV switches on by tapping the power in the app.
- Follow the same process and connect the Galaxy S4 with your set top box. Usually the connection happens in a single try; however, if you find it difficult then make sure you are providing good time to the cable box or your television to get the code registered.
- Also make sure that your Galaxy S4 Smartphone is in clear line with your TV or your set top box IR receiver.
You can also pair other components such as a media player, AV receiver or DVD player with your Samsung Galaxy S4 Smartphone. For doing the same functionality you just need to switch back to the main interface, click on the menu button and then Settings. Now click on Room > My room >My devices. Select the components you want to add. Now follow the same process which you used for pairing the TV and set top box with your Galaxy S4 Smartphone by Samsung.
How to Use the Samsung Galaxy S4 as a Universal Remote
For using the Galaxy S4 as a universal remote one just needs to do the following:
- Go to the menu button and then click on Settings (Here you will find two options under Notifications).
- You can click on Auto Display as it will help you to display the remote even on the locked screen.
- The second option allows the user to have the remote displayed once you reach home. For this one needs to click Auto Display and then Home.
- Now go to “Select” method as it will help the phone to know the Wi-Fi network you are connected with. The remote will now appear as soon as you reach that Wi-Fi network.
These few simply steps demonstrate How to Make Your Galaxy S4 a Universal Remote Control to get more functionality out of your Samsung Smartphone.